Followers

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

I grew up in Ohio but how did I forget how much the winters suck?!

https://www.facebook.com/janet.smithhamel

Time has an amazing way of changing a persons perspective. I think about my life 5 or 6 years ago and how different it was. I would have NEVER imagined I would have gotten remarried, to a United States Army soldier nonetheless. Or that we would have lived in 4 different states, 6 moves all together. I have met so many people and experienced things I would have never dreamed of. We have had to make some tough choices and now that some of the dust has settled and time has passed, I can honestly say I would do so many things differently.  

When I suggested we move back to Ohio, it was for many reasons, mostly our family and friends. The goodbyes were so difficult to the point of painful. Right now I'm sitting here looking at the ice on the windows and the snow outside and that itself is a different kind of painful. That may seem a bit dramatic but if you moved from Hawaii to this frozen tundra, it's not lol. 

So now we are building a big house to live in. Isn't there a saying like "If you build it, they will come?" Well I can picture new traditions of family dinners and holidays at our house. I am probably kidding myself because we have barely heard from any of the people we thought we missed when we lived away.  I thought moving back would be different. The phone doesn't ring any more now that we are back and closer. Our schedules don't have any more dates written in than 4 months ago, probably less. I realize now that if people want to be involved in our lives, they will make as much of an effort as we do. 

I am thankful for the few people that have stayed in touch. The (very) few that have taken the time to include us in their lives since we have been back. Relationships take work on both sides and I realize the miles between won't matter to the ones that really count.

Now I need to find a ticket to some place warm for a little mental break before I snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment