Followers

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hello??? Has social media replaced the simple phone call?

When I was growing up, my Grandma Anna would take the bus from Cleveland to our house every other Friday after work. I loved her visits. The other weekends she didn't visit, my mom would call her at the same time every Sunday evening. Of course there was no Internet back then but just the routine was special and makes me smile. Most of us have 1 form of social media or another on 1 electronic device or another. We like our gadgets and we like to stay connected and we want instant notification when someone we know is doing something awesome. It makes us feel good to know our loved ones and friends are happy and having fun. It also can be a great form of communication when someone needs to reach out to the masses in times of trouble. 

I was thinking about all of this when I called my daughter today. I looked at my phone and realized the only incoming calls are from my Dr's or my daughter or my husband. No other family or friends. Facebook is a great way to stay in touch but somethings are just too personal to share. I guess when I look at my call log, in and out, that's who I realize who I'm most excited to go back and see. That's who's stayed in contact and put the effort into a relationship. A phone call is real effort, real commitment and I love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment