Followers

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

A work in progress

It's been quite a while since I added to my blog. I read something on my Facebook "on this day" that got me thinking. It was a post from last year with the song "Brave" by Sara Bareilles. https://youtu.be/QUQsqBqxoR4

I'm sure that song has different meanings for people but to me it means standing up for yourself. Speak up especially when no one else will. When I was growing up, I really didn't have that. I was shy, awkward and that meant I was an easy target to be bullied and picked on. I didn't know what bullying was back then. We just thought kids were being mean. I wish I had someone to stand up for me back then. I will never forget being chased home from Redwood and getting knocked down in the snow and having someone hold my face down in it. 

Now that I am an adult, I try to avoid confrontation. I don't like when people are mean and nasty. When people are like that towards me, I hide inside myself. Almost like a crab hiding in its shell. People know what means the most to me and that's my family and those that I love. For the most part, I am outgoing, energetic and love to help others. Some days are definitely easier than others. I know I will always have a bit of that shy, awkward little girl inside who wants to be brave when someone uses my weaknesses to hurt me. 

Please be kind to each other. Please think about how someone else could be feeling. You never know what kind of day or week or even childhood someone has had. They could be dealing with personal issues that you don't know of and a kind or hurtful word could make a big impact.  You can be honest and still be kind. Being "Brave" takes some of us longer than others. I'm almost 50 and still working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment